Life is a series of experiences that have conscious and unconscious performance. Our core beliefs are founded in these involvements. The filtered results are uttered in our every movement. The moment you realize that there is a pattern of behavior that is stifling your progress you have entered into another level of self-discovery. For many, this session arises after the weight our decisions become unbearable. We quickly learn that the underlying connection internally and externally has one secured component and that is self. This revelation is not that easy to accept, nor does it seem fair, at first. Our whole identity to this point seemed to have come through the validation or invalidation of people and situations that have happened to and for us. Without knowing, we accepted a lot of what was conveyed to us as our personal truth. The information given wasn’t necessarily given with ill intent. It just didn’t completely belong to us. With self-discovery we can alter our reality to fit what we now know to be true about ourselves. The process can be scary and seems far reaching in its early stages; however, in continuation it is liberating.
Points of Discovery
- Assess your life in it’s entirety. Don’t be afraid to look at you and your experiences for real. You are never alone. Know that we have all been there so don’t become paralyzed by what you learn about yourself. Use it as a roadmap of accomplishments to make or modify as you go. This is just the beginning.
- Acknowledge your mistakes, wins, and your “about to’s”. We can only do what we know how to do at the time the choices are presented. When you truly know better you do better.
- Accept your life as it is and that you don’t have to stay where you are. In your acceptance, you’ll find that new information will find you as you seek new information. This is true for relationships as well.
- Acclimate! Make the changes needed that have presented themselves to you through the self-discovery process. Education is formal and informal; therefore, all kinds of developmental tools are available to you. Posture yourself to learn in all aspects of life.
- Accelerate! Use what you have discovered, absorbed, and learned to execute your life’s work. Gift yourself grace because this process is continuous and is unique to each individual. Know that challenges are growth points and the journey is a celebration.
The self-discovery process is a right of passage.
See you on the other side!
Cheryl Menifee is an editor from Missouri.
Article published May 19, 2018